Minneapolis Skyline 1912

Minneapolis Skyline 1912

Saturday, March 26, 2011

I Have No Excuses

It's last week in a dark, smoky, hookah bar in the lower East Side of Manhattan. I'm sitting around with a number of friends new and old. I quit smoking years ago but convinced myself smoking hookah may not necessarily lead me down the slippery slope of nicotine abuse. (It didn't--just exacerbated hangover).

Between pulls on the minty fruit-infused smoke machine and sips of strong Egyptian tea someone mentioned my writing. I laughed... that went away when I was reassigned duties in my company and all of sudden lost myself in the chasm between graduate school and an intense work. That was August of 2008.

Balance was only achieved for lack of wife, children, and home. Yes I laughed--thinking no one ever read this blog. Rather I fancied it a delusional outlet for my thoughts. At least the possibility of an audience kept me writing, while working at my desk in a dead-end IT project management position.

Imagine how I felt when people started talking about my blog, as if they actually read it! Then I started putting together the sporadic but clearly-intentioned comments from friends over the last two and a half years encouraging me to develop a hobby. Hmm.

I dropped out of my graduate school program for a number of reasons this spring. Complete irrelevance to my current occupation chiefly among them. My weekends and week nights (often in the lone as my roommate girlfriend works when I don't and vice versa) were free and playing Shinobi and Bejeweled frankly has lost its luster after 12,678 games.

Time on my hands and encouragement to do what all my liberal arts training has equipped me to do, I sat down this morning and made the decision to throw in a load of laundry and not pick up the Xbox controller.

$hit. I have to write something.

No comments: